Goddess Durga is the chief goddess of Hindus who are also called Devi and Shakti. She is the main goddess of the Shakt sect. She is compared to Param Brahma. Durga has been described as Adi Shakti, prime nature, Mother of wisdom, and free from all evils. She is protecting and welfare of darkness and ignorance demons. Hindus have the belief that she destroy the monstrous powers that strike peace, prosperity and religion.
9 forms of Maa Durga
Goddess Durga or pure consciousness express herself in all forms and receives all names. Recognizing a divine power in every form and every name is to celebrate Navaratri. Unlimited joy and happiness of navratri festival ends with celebration of Dussehra the symbol of victory of goodness over evil. Nine 9 nights of Navratri festival are devoted to nine 9 different forms of Goddess, also called Navdurga.
- Shailputri – She is the first form of Durga and daughter of mountain. She was daughter of Daksha Prajapati in her previous birth and named “Sati”.
- Brahmacharini – The second form of Durga is Brahmacharini. She is portrayed as a monk goddess in Hindu text with two armed, clad in white and holding a rudraksh mala and a sacred Kamandalu.
- Chandraghanta – The third day of Navratri is dedicated to goddess Chandraghanta. She is portrayed as a furious 10 armed Goddess, thundering in outrage.
- Kushmanda – She is worshipped on fourth day of Navratri. The name Kushmanda is included three different words ‘Ku’ (small), ‘Ushma’ (warmth or vitality) and ‘Amnda’ (egg) which clearly shows the person who made the universe as the “Little Cosmic Egg” with vitality and warmth.
- Skandmata – She is fifth incarnation of Goddess Durga, who worshipped on fifth day of Navratri known as Panchami also.
- Katyayani – Goddess Katyayani, daughter of sage Katyayan is sixth incarnation of goddess Durga. She is portrayed having four arms, holding a sword in hand.
- Kaalratri – Goddess Kaalratri is adored on the seventh day of Navratri. As per the Hindu sacred texts, Goddess Kaalratri is scratched as a four-armed goddess who rides a donkey. She holds a sword, a noose and a trident.
- Mahagauri – The eighth day of Navratri, Ashtami is celebrated and this day is dedicated to goddess Mahagauri.
- Siddhidhatri – Goddess Siddhidhatri is worshipped on ninth day of Navratri with full of fervor and great enthusiasm.
Origin of Maa Durga
A very powerful monster born in the clan of Hiranyaksha, who was the son of Ruru, whose name was Durgamasur. All the gods were scared from Durgamasur. He surrounded Indra’s city Amravati. Deities became inferior to power, and consequently they decided to leave the heaven. They run away towards the mountains and caves and hid in the caves and began worshiping Ambika to get help of Adi Shakti. Goddess manifested and blessed the gods for being fearless. An envoy told Durgamasur all these saga and the matter of taking the incarnation of the protector of the Gods is somewhere. Durgamasur became angry and started to take all his weapons and his army together for the war. There was a fierce battle and the Goddess destroyed all his army, including Durgamasur. From then the goddess to be called Durga.
What does the goddess Durga look like?
Durga is a divine female warrior riding on a lion. Mahishasur Mardini in a fearless form on the lion, which is known as Abhay Mudra. Giving assurance of free from all fear Jagatmata tells all her devotees: “Dedicate faith on me, I will save you from all the troubles. Goddess Durga has been described as having eight or ten hands. These 8 hands represent directions in Hindu religion. She protects his devotees from problems that comes from different directions.
Goddess Durga and Mahishasura slaughter story
Although Mahishasur’s name is recorded in our mythological text. The whole story of his slaughter by Durga available in religios texts. But still many people are not fully aware of the story of Mahishasur slaughter. Mahishasur king of demons was the son of Rambhasur, who was very powerful. According to legend, Mahishasura was born with a combination of male and female (buffalo). That is why he was called Mahishasur. According to his wish, he could have taken the form of a buffalo and a man.
With the desire to become immortal, he performed a very difficult penance to please lord Brahma. Brahmaji was pleased with his devotion and They blessed him to ask for a blessing. Mahishasur asked him to be immortal. Brahma ji said that the birth of a living being is decided to die. You should ask some other boon. Mahishasura thought a lot and then said – You bless me that none of the Gods, Asur and humans can kill me. I die by the hand of a woman. Brahmaji blessed him with boon.
Mahishasur became the King of all the demons after received boon from Lord Brahma. He formed a huge army of demons and attacked the sea world and the earth and subdued them all. Then he invaded Gods IndraLok. In this war, Lord Vishnu and Shiva also supported the Gods, but had to face defeat by Mahishasura, and Mahishasur got the possession on Devlok. He became the ruler of the three worlds.
When all the Gods came to Lord Vishnu with their problem, he said that you all should do worship of Goddess Mahakashakhi. All the gods worshiped the goddess. Then Bhagwati was born. The origin of the goddess was to kill the Mahishasur, so she were called ‘Mahishasur Mardini’. Seeing the Goddess that appeared with the power of all the Gods , there was no room for the happiness of the Gods.
How is the Sherawali Maa Durga so powerful?
Lord Shiva gave a trident to Goddess. Lord Vishnu gave the cycle(chakra) to the Goddess. Same way, all the gods and goddesses offered them variety of weapons. Indra handed his vajra to Devi. The lord Surya prepared the shield, sword and divine lion with power of rays and offered to the goddess for a ride. Vishwakarma provided Mahishasur Mardini with many invasive armor and weapons, with all kinds of big weapons. Now it was turn of war. After a while, Mahishasura noticed that a giant woman, who is armed with many arms and weapons, is coming to on the lion.
Mahishasur’s army chief moved forward and started fighting with Goddess. Mahadatti, a great warrior, jumped into this war with his 60 thousand monsters. Along with one million soldiers of Mahanu, the Ashholoma monster jumped into battle with five million and a monster named Vaskal, with 60 million soldiers. All the gods were watching this great war with great curiosity. All the weapons of the demons were proved to be small in front of the Goddess. Ranchandika Devi killed hundreds of demons in a single blow by the sword and killed Mahishasur with the entire army of Asuras.
Maa Durga Images
Goddess Durga gained all her powers from each and every god to kill demon Mahishasur. She get face from lord Shiva, 10 arms from Vishnu and feet from Brahma.
Maa Durga images gallery collection designed with beautiful nature, sky, landscape and artistic floral background for mobile screen and festival greetings.
Maa Durga photo portrayed in different stance. But all maa Durga images are designed with lion. In some picture lion shown in sitting stance and in other it is shown standing.
Click the download link to view "Maa Durga Photo HD" full size and download to local device. If you want to check photo with frame, please click on apply frame link.